Be Represented by a Law Firm That is Well-Established in Eminent Domain Cases

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Practice Areas
  4.  » 
  5. Inverse Condemnation
  6.  » Damaged Property

The Government Damaged Your Property

If you are a private landowner or representing a business with property and recent government work has damaged your property, you need to understand your rights and options. Can you be compensated for this damage? What does the process involve? The most important consideration if you are in this situation is to get the help of an experienced legal team you can trust to fight for you and help you obtain compensation for property damage.

Talk with the lawyers of Palmieri, Hennessey & Leifer, LLP. We have been serving clients in Irvine and the surrounding areas of Southern California for more than 30 years. Our attorneys bring unmatched knowledge and experience in inverse condemnation claims for our clients. We will fight for you to get you the compensation you need.

Inverse Condemnation Claims

Inverse condemnation is a complex name for a simple concept. It is based on “the takings clause” in the Bill of Rights, which says that citizens cannot be deprived of their property by the government without just compensation. Inverse condemnation law is related to eminent domain cases. In eminent domain, the government contacts the landowner, and there is a process for determining the fair value of the land being taken and damaged.

In inverse condemnation claims, the private property owner – whether an individual or a business – brings a lawsuit against a government entity for taking and/or damaging land without compensation. The lawsuit seeks compensation.

Cases of damaged property are similar to cases of property being taken. Regardless of whether property has been literally taken or its value has simply been diminished by a government action, either way, the landowner is being deprived of the property’s previous value. An inverse condemnation proceeding seeks compensation from the government for damaged property.

Types of property damage can include blocked access, rezoning or other regulations that hinder the value or use of the property and actual physical damage from construction or other problems.

Whatever the case, if your property has been damaged by some government action, you could be compensated for those damages. Our attorneys can look at the facts and the law and help you determine whether you have a case.

Contact Us For A Free Consultation

There is no financial risk in calling us and having a consultation with one of our lawyers. Call us today at 949-652-2622 or email us.